Integrative Health Coaching
Written by: Dave Johnson, MD, FACC
Now offering Integrative Health Coaching
The longer that I practice the more I realize how much our lifestyle choices influence our health and wellbeing. Eating well, being physically active, enjoying restful sleep, finding work-life balance and simply being kind to others can go a long way in protecting health and well-being but I know it is not easy. That is where I want to help you; to help you find the solutions you need to optimize your health and well-being and, when necessary, I can put on my medical hat and help you overcome any physical symptoms that may be getting in your way.
Health coaching is becoming much more readily available yet remains largely unregulated. Anyone can claim to be a health and wellness coach with as little as a weekend certification course to doctorate level training. The International Consortium of Health & Wellness Coaching (ICHWC) is a nonprofit looking to create national standards for health coaching. I will soon complete my integrative health coaching certification from the University of Arizona, Center for Integrative Medicine (AZCIM), an ICHWC-approved program, and will be the first in Michigan to offer such services.
Whether it is treating a disease process or helping you overcome lifestyle choices that adversely affect health and well-being, I will work with you to help you achieve your health goals.
BRIDGING THE KNOWLEDGE OF MEDICINE WITH THE ART OF COACHING, I AM NOW OFFERING INTEGRATIVE HEALTH COACHING.
What is Integrative Health Coaching?
Integrative Health Coaching is a client-centered, relational approach to working with individuals collaboratively in order to address the health and well-being of the whole person. It acknowledges the interdependent roles of mind, body, and spirit on health and well-being as well as the innate healing capacity in each person. In integrative health coaching there is an emphasis on self-care. An integrative health coach forms a partnership with individuals or groups of individuals to empower and support them in achieving their personal goals related to optimal health and wellness.
Who is a candidate for Integrative Health Coaching?
Anyone who is seeking to regain control over their own health and well-being, regardless of whether you have a chronic disease or simply want to better maintain health and well-being.
What do we focus on in Integrative Health Coaching sessions?
During the coaching session, we will work together to articulate…
- What is most important to you in your life and explore the reasons that you want for health and well-being.
- The cores areas that affect your health and well-being – how would you rate them currently and which areas need more attention than others.
- Your goal to improve your health and well-being.
- Action steps to achieve this goal.
Additionally, we will discuss what may support you in completing your action steps, establish timelines, accountability strategies, and anticipate possible challenges.
Why Integrative Health Coaching is effective?
- This style of coaching works with you as a whole person – addressing all core areas of health that influence your health and well-being.
- You are in charge of your health and well-being – coaches ask powerful questions and facilitate the process to maximize your potential for success.
- You and your coach partner to identify and articulate your goals and the actions to achieve them.
- Integrative health coaches have extensive knowledge in lifestyle and integrative approaches for optimal health and well-being.
Why choose an Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine (AZCIM) Certified Health Coach?
An AZCIM-certified integrative health coach is the most thoroughly trained and evaluated.
- Previous background and experience in a health-related field (including medicine, nursing, psychology, nutrition, acupuncture, therapy/counseling).
- Have completed either AZCIM 2-year (1000-hour) Integrative Medicine Fellowship or 6-month (250-hour) Integrative Health and Lifestyle Program (IHeLp).
- Completed and passed all requirements of the AZCIM Integrative Health Coaching Program.
- Over 200 hours of training, including 35 hours of face-to-face, faculty-led training in Tucson, AZ and 28 total mentor-supervised practice hours.
- Rigorous evaluations of live coaching sessions by coaching faculty, motivational interviewing skills using proven MITI scoring by outside evaluator, and documentation of 100 hours of practice coaching sessions.
What does an Integrative Health Coach provide?
- Partners with you in helping you achieve your personal goals to improve your health and wellness.
- Is fully present with each encounter.
- Recognizes the innate wisdom and healing potential within you.
- Meets you where you are on your journey and without judgment.
- Enters each session or encounter as a facilitator, not an expert.
- Emphasizes self-care and self-empowerment within you.
My added advantage: AZCIM-certified integrative medicine physician (my other hat)
The Fellowship in Integrative Medicine is a 1,000-hour, two-year distance learning program founded by Andrew Weil, MD at the University of Arizona, Center for Integrative Medicine. Integrative medicine is a patient-centered whole health approach. Topics studied in depth include:
- Nutritional health. The latest nutritional approaches and dietary recommendations for general health, as well as specific conditions such as cancer and diabetes
- Botanicals and dietary supplements. Research-based uses, how to identify a quality product, supplement-drug interactions, and use in specific patient populations
- Mind-body medicine. Ways in which emotional, mental, social and behavioral factors affect health and how to teach patients meditation and other mind-body techniques
- Complementary and alternative practices. Uses, benefits, and recommendations for Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda, manual medicine and homeopathy.
- Integrative approaches. To women’s health, pediatrics, mental health, gastrointestinal, respiratory, cardiovascular disease, cancer and much more.
Unlike traditional health coaches, my extensive training can effectively guide you on your health journey and continually be able to diagnose and initiate treatments, when necessary.