DAVE JOHNSON, MD, FACC
Integrative Health and Healing, Preventive Cardiology
“Healing comes from the optimization of function in the physical body while attending to the emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of life. Although early detection of disease may be helpful to initiate the healing process, proactive health care is about learning effective strategies that both prevents disease and potentially even reverses disease when it is present.” -Dave Johnson, MD
Let me tell you a bit about my journey and the conventional and unconventional pathways I have taken.
Much of my conventional medical career has focused on diagnosing and treating medical disease and after medical specialization I turned my focus on cardiovascular disease.
My Conventional Training:
- Medical School: The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Internal Medicine Residency: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Cardiovascular Fellowship: University of Alabama, Birmingham
However, despite developing a highly successful conventional cardiology practice I became restless. I began to feel that my training in conventional medicine only skimmed the surface when it actually came to healing. So, in 2008 my unconventional path began. I was introduced to Andrew Weil, MD and Tieraona LowDog, MD at the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine where I completed a two-year integrative medicine fellowship. I was now prepared to leave the comforts of home (conventional medicine) and have the courage to blaze a new trail (integrative health and healing).
From there my journey has led me down a much less traveled path including the study of mindfulness, wilderness immersion and shamanic healing practices. These experiences helped me to hear with clarity that internal voice calling me to reach deeper into health and healing by embracing the entirety of human experience from body, mind, soul and spirit.
My Unconventional Training:
- Integrative Medicine Fellowship: University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
- Plant-based nutrition education
- Mindfulness training: Mindfulness-based stress reduction, mindfulness meditation, somatic meditation
- Animas Valley Institute: Discovering the soul through wilderness immersion
- The Four Winds Society: Light Body School and shamanic training
As a result of these experiences I have created integrative cardiology and integrative health and healing programs. The emphasis in these programs is on treating the entire individual from body to mind, soul and spirit, often with the support of other gifted healers that come from a variety of different disciplines, including conventional, complementary and self-care approaches.
“I am eager to work with anyone interested in enhancing core areas of health including nutrition, movement, sleep, resiliency, relationships, environment, and spirituality. This can be addressed through medical and/or coaching strategies.”-Dave Johnson, MD
***Dr. Johnson is the medical director and medical delegate at Grand Rapids Natural Health and oversees the care of our Naturopathic Doctors.***
To learn more about the services Dr. Johnson, MD, offers, click here.
To schedule a complimentary meet and greet with Dr. Johnson, please call 616.264.6556 or schedule online below.
For frequently asked questions, click here.
To read blog posts written by Dr. Johnson, click below:
- Integrative Cardiology: A Whole Health Approach
- A Collaborative Approach to Holistic Health Care
- Escaping the Wrath of Heart Disease
- Nutrigenomics: Choosing Foods According to Your Genes
- November is Diabetes Month
ARE YOU A CLIENT OF DAVE JOHNSON, MD?
Click on the Fullscript logo to the right to order your professional grade, high quality, individualized supplements straight to your home. Please call our office at 616-264-6556 with any questions.
* Dave Johnson, MD is an independent practitioner within the Grand Rapids Natural Health office.
* Dave Johnson, MD serves as the medical director and medical delegate at Grand Rapids Natural Health.